[MLton-user] Building shared version of GMP on MinGW

Vesa Karvonen vesa.a.j.k at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 00:02:45 PDT 2007

Hi Dave,

Since we also needed to build a shared version of GMP for release, I
had to figure out how to do that.  I recall you pointed to the
following page:

  http://cs.nyu.edu/exact/core/gmp/

I just found out that the instructions for building a shared version
of GMP on that page do not work with the 4.2.1 source distribution
(the configure output says it builds a static version).  Instead of
--disable-static and --enable-shared one has to write
--enable-static=no and --enable-shared=yes.  So, to build a shared GMP
from the 4.2.1 source distribution (http://gmplib.org/#DOWNLOAD), I
used the following:

./configure --prefix=/mingw --enable-static=no --enable-shared=yes \
  --build=pentium-pc-mingw32
make
make install

After this I tried to build our MLton stuff and it seemed to work
without problems.

I also tried the prebuilt GMP dll from the page you referenced.
Trying to build MLton stuff with the prebuilt version gave errors
about missing symbols.

Regards,
 Vesa Karvonen