Tue, 14 Aug 2001 09:56:45 -0700 (PDT)
I noticed something about the way we have the Makefiles set up right now.
We decided that /front-end/ml.grm.* and /front-end/ml.lex.sml were derived
files, and removed them from the repository. Due to the way CM and cmcat
work (failure if a file in a sources.cm does not exist), we made mlton.cm
depend on these derived files. This has the side effect of making
mlton.cm out of date when starting from clean sources. Anyways, I mention
this because the argument is that mlton.cm is part of the sources, because
someone without cmcat can't make it. But, if the default trajectory of
the Makefile is going to force rebuilding of mlton.cm using cmcat, that
seems contradictory. Maybe the correct solution is to remove the
dependency of mlton on mlton.cm (just use the set of files derived from
mlton -stop f mlton.cm).