Stephen Weeks
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 18:48:09 -0700

Hi Doug.  I see that sieve.mlton was recently changed (back) to use Word8Array
instead of bool array.  I find that version to be less idiomatic.  Also, on my
machine, with a slightly newer version of MLton, the change slowed down the
benchmark from what I sent you on June 10 by a factor of 6.  That's quite a lot.
I would like to request changing the benchmark back to the more idiomatic and 6x
faster (or whatever it is on your machine) version.  Thanks.

Also, it would be nice if there were some kind of check in your process of
introducing changes that alerted you (and possibly us, wrt MLton) to large
slowdowns like this.