[MLton-devel] RedHat 7.1/7.3 problems

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 14:42:05 -0700

> > Maybe we can take MLton out of the mix, since the generated C and
> > assembly should be the same on all machines.  Have you tried tests
> > with compiling simple C files on a 7.3 machine and linking/runing them
> > a 7.1?
>
> That revealed something interesting:

If understood your experiments correctly, you tried the following four
configurations:

	y 	z
bad	7.1 -O1	7.3 -O1
good	7.1 -O1	7.3
good	7.1	7.3 -O1
good	7.1	7.3

Unsurprisingly, they all work on my machine.

Henry, can you duplicate the problems Matthew is seeing?  We're
getting down to pretty small test cases.

Matthew, I guess you could further isolate the problem by generating
assembly on a 7.3 machine (-O1) and assembling on the 7.1 machine.