[MLton-devel] yeah, that did the trick

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 09:06:04 -0700

> Could it be that on FreeBSD the memory is grabbed at mmap time instead of
> delaying until it is written in to as on Linux?  That would explain things
> grabbing much more RAM during GC.  It isn't an insane performance tradeoff
> since it would avoid faulting on each page on the first write.

I don't think this is happening.  I just watched with top during a
self compile and see that although the SIZE field during copying GCs
jumps to about 1.2G, The RES field doesn't go over 700M.  I also see
after the GC that the RES field grows from the live data size to the
semispace size.

Sponsored by: AMD - Your access to the experts on Hammer Technology!
Open Source & Linux Developers, register now for the AMD Developer
Symposium. Code: EX8664 http://www.developwithamd.com/developerlab
MLton-devel mailing list