[MLton-devel] benchmarks on RedHat and FreeBSD

jlouis@diku.dk jlouis@diku.dk
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 21:51:08 +0200

On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 12:21:23PM -0700, Stephen Weeks wrote:

> Here are the results for all our usual benchmarks, run on both RedHat
> 7.1 and FreeBSD 4.6.2 vmware machines with 500M RAM, 1.6Ghz.
>
> It looks like FreeBSD is often a lot slower.  From looking at a couple
> of runs, I conjecture much of it is due to the absence of mremap and
> zeroing costs on FreeBSD.  For example, using a fixed heap of 100m for
> mlyacc cuts the ratio down from 2.5 to 1.6.  I don't know what the
> rest of the slowdown could be due to.  I suppose for nucleic and zern
> it could be double alignment.

It amazes me. I have always found FreeBSD to be at level with Linux when
it comes to raw performance. The absence of mremap is a design choice as
far as I know.

I need to read more code before I am able to participate fully in this
discussion though.

--
Jesper
 God equals root with 4 delta changes