[MLton-devel] Porting from Moscow ML

Joe Hurd joe.hurd@cl.cam.ac.uk
Sat, 21 Sep 2002 21:40:22 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

I downloaded MLton today, with the intention of porting a (fairly
large) ML project that I used Moscow ML to develop. FYI, it's a part
of the HOL theorem prover, implementing automatic proof search in
first-order logic.

I'm used to using quotations (i.e., `quoted text`) in Moscow ML, which
cause errors in MLton, but I think I can eradicate these from my code
without too much pain. (Though I'll be sorry to lose them: quotations
are handy in a theorem-proving environment, because they support
antiquotations and also because backslashes don't have to be doubled,
so x AND y can be written as `x /\ y`.)

A bigger problem is that I'm a heavy user of the PP (pretty-printing)
module in Moscow ML, which is not part of MLton's basis
library. (Until today I didn't realize that PP wasn't part of the
standard basis library.) I tried using MLton to compile Moscow ML's
implementation of PP, but it contains Moscow ML primitives, so that
didn't work. Do you know of an implementation of PP that I could use
with MLton?

Thanks for your help,

Joe