[MLton] cvs commit: Added support for files larger than 2G

Matthew Fluet fluet@cs.cornell.edu
Thu, 4 Dec 2003 17:46:15 -0500 (EST)

>   This included changing Position from Int32 to Int64.  It was
>   surprisingly easy to make the needed changes to the basis library.
>   The runtime was also pretty easy to update.  Now we compile with
>   -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 instead of -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE.  I added a
>   new typedef for Position as Int64, and updated the few routines that
>   need to use Position instead of Int (stat, lseek, ...).

Did you notice any change in speed for the wc-* benchmarks?  IO certainly
isn't doing a 64bit op per character read, but it will for each underlying
read.  I imagine it isn't really a problem.