[MLton] cvs commit: world no longer contains a preprocessed basis library

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Wed, 10 Dec 2003 14:00:47 -0800

> Yes, what I described would be intermediate, but if you literally mean
> file-level, doesn't that mean that any basis library structure which is used
> in any way will have all of it in the executable?  That sounds like it would
> be a huge amount.  If the basis did something like
> 	structure AllOfBasis = struct ... end
> 	structure Option = AllOfBasis.Option
> then any use of NONE would cause all of the basis library to be included.
> Sounds bad.

You're right.  We do that, and file level won't work with the basis.

I can't think of anything that preserves semantics and gets stuff that
the SSA pass wouldn't get.