[MLton-devel] cvs commit: source-level profiling

Matthew Fluet fluet@CS.Cornell.EDU
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 14:38:14 -0500 (EST)

>   Very soon, once
>   I am completely convinced that -profile-il xml is working, I
>   anticipate changing the meaning of -profile-il ssa so that it instead
>   insterts Enter/Leaves for each SSA function and basic block at the end
>   of the SSA pipeline, *not* based on source information.  This should
>   allow us to get old-style SSA based profiling information like we had
>   before source-level profiling that is often more useful for trying to
>   improve the optimizer.

That sounds very good.

I just checked out the new profiling stuff and will play with it for a bit
today.  The other day I was trying to disable XML inlining to get the same
effect, but to no avail.  Is there anything about the new profiling that
you suspect might not be working correctly that I can watch out for?