[MLton-devel] Re: CPS vs SSA

Lal George lg@network-speed.com
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 11:15:35 -0500

I mostly agree with the comparison made by Stephen, however despite
everything that he said, I am going to structure the new Nova compiler
using CPS once again! (Even though the final IL turns out to be first
order).

At one extreme, suppose we had a language where programs were call/cc
centric. Then clearly CPS would be a good choice. Call/cc would
be compiled to primitive function calls that would be easily
optimized with other constructs.

It turns out that compiled Nova programs look like spagetti code, and
exceptions are a nice way of capturing much of the control flow in a
high-level language. We find that programs tend to be
'exception-centric'. The domain (network processors) places a premium
on execution and so the exception handling must be compiled away as
efficiently as possible.

CPS handles this situation cleanly --- the exception handling is
expressed as simple function calls, and the handlers are nicely
bundled up in continuations. After a massive inlining phase, we get
the desired first-order program we were after.  At this point one
could imagine converting to a CFG based SSA form, but there would be
little point in doing so that late in the game.

Does this make sense? Is there a better way to take an absyn to a
first order IL where exception handling is not implemented using
complex prim-ops?

Lal