[MLton-devel] experimental release of source-level profiling

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 13:31:41 -0800

> GCStateVolatile was supposed to ensure that it was written to it's memory
> location every time it was modified.  Do you have a small example that
> exhibits the bug?  Or any outstanding changes that affect it?

I checked in the change to make gcState.currentSource volatile.
Running a MLton with that change, compiling any example with
	-profile time -profile-stack true -profile-basis true
should show the problem.  I'm testing it on wc-scanStream.  Here is
the problematic Machine code and the assembly produced by the native
codegen.  Note that the assembly stores $0x13E into %edi, but does not
write it to memory.  So, the call to GC_profileEnter sees the wrong
currentSource.

L_792: {kind = CReturn {dst = Some glob {index = 46, isRoot = true, ty = pt_22},
			frameInfo = Some {frameLayoutsIndex = 0},
			func = {bytesNeeded = None,
				ensuresBytesFree = true,
				mayGC = true,
				maySwitchThreads = false,