[MLton-devel] OS.IO.poll portability

Matthew Fluet fluet@cs.cornell.edu
Fri, 6 Jun 2003 08:48:16 -0400 (EDT)

> Under SML/NJ this prints "1" and under MLton it prints "0".  Looking
> at an strace, I see that MLton uses poll while SML/NJ uses select.
> I'm not sure how to answer though.  Matthew, could you look into this
> and respond to David?

I don't really know what the right answer is supposed to be.  Reading the
description and type of OS.IO.poll, it seemed like a direct implementation
of the poll system call.  I can rewrite it to use select, which might
change the output, but I wouldn't have a strong reason for doing so.

My select_tut(2) man pages say:

       The  poll(2) system call has the same functionality as select, but with
       less subtle behavior. It is less portable than select.