[MLton-devel] PLDI '03 Trip Report

Matthew Fluet fluet@cs.cornell.edu
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 09:23:10 -0400 (EDT)

> Mark Stephenson of MIT gave a talk, "Meta Optimization: Improving Compiler
> Heuristics with Machine Learning", which I did not see, but I talked
> with him later and he recommended genetic programming for tackling the
> phase ordering problem we have in the MLton optimizer.  He also gave a
> pointer to Cooper's work on the subject ("Optimizing for Reduced Code
> Space using Genetic Algorithms").

A genetic programming approach to the SSA optimizer sounds like it could
be interesting.  I imagine the infrastructure on the compiler side would
be trivial; just an -ssa-passes option.  (BTW, should we change the
-diag option to -diag-pass to be consistent with other options?)

> I talked with Norman Ramsey about a debugger for MLton.  He mentioned
> that Sukyoung Ryu, a postdoc, is looking into MLton re debuggers, and
> described some of the debugging infrastructure they are developing.
> Norman also mentioned that C-- activity is picking up again.

A debugger for MLton would be really nice.  I wish I had the time to adapt
the profiling infrastructure into something that would at least let us use
gdb to watch the control flow by stepping through the lambdas.