[MLton-devel] cvs commit: support for multiple integer, real, and word sizes

Matthew Fluet fluet@cs.cornell.edu
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 13:03:47 -0400 (EDT)

> The difficulty is how do we represent constants of type Word64 at
> compile time, especially for primapp simplifications.  I.E. what do we
> do in WordX?  For Int64 and IntX it is easy, we just use IntInf.
> There is no WordInf and no easy way to do some Word64 bit ops like <<
> and >>.  This is not a big deal -- once we put in Word64 we can use
> that to bootstrap off of ourselves.  But I figured it was enough
> complexity that we should do it separately.

The IntInf structure provides all the bitwise-logical operations and
shifts (although not rotates).  So, I would think that we could represent
constants of type Word64 at compile time as IntInf.int-s.  But, I agree
that it can wait until the other stuff settles down.