[MLton-devel] MLton Threads

Christopher Wolff cwolff@cs.uml.edu
Thu, 1 May 2003 15:08:26 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

I am a graduate student at UMass Lowell who is developing an application
in MLton as part of a final project in a course on operating systems.

In this project, we are using MLton threads to simulate the processes of
an operating system.  So, our threads can be pre-empted (via a vtalrm
signal from Itimer) or they can voluntarily hand control off to someone
else (for instance, by creating and resuming another thread assigned a
greater priority).

I have found that the MLton structure provides routines that are ideal for
doing this.  However, I haven't been able to switch back to a thread that
was once running---I get the error message "Failed switch to a dead
thread."  Can you tell me how a thread becomes designated as "dead," and
how I can avoid this?

Your insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Christopher M. Wolff

Graduate Student
University of Massachusetts Lowell