[MLton-devel] CVS checkout?

Matthew Fluet fluet@cs.cornell.edu
Fri, 17 Oct 2003 16:57:08 -0400 (EDT)

> It was just for a checkout.  I was doing the same as I always used to do:
> go to where I keep the latest version and do
> 	cvs co .
> witth the environment set up.

I don't know exactly what that does, but my suspicion is that it's
essentially doing an update,

> Now I just tried
> 	cvs -d /cvsroot/mlton co .
> and it said that there was no such file or directory, but from the speed
> and the lack of password checking it looks like it tried to use the local
> machine.

Right, you need to do somthing like:

   cvs -d:ext:henry@cvs.mlton.org/cvsroot co mlton

> What do you use to freshen your copy of mlton?

   cvs update

My "normal" operation is the following:

1) cvs -d:ext:fluet@cvs.mlton.org/cvsroot co mlton
2) cd mlton
3) cvs update

Step 1) is done once at the beginning of time. (Or, every time the CVS
server changes).  That creates the mlton directory with everything checked
out.  Then I do step 3) whenever I want to sync against the repository.
You shouldn't need to check out again.