[MLton] Re: [MLton-devel] MLton HOL

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Sun, 19 Oct 2003 11:08:46 -0700

> I added the
>
> exception Interrupt = SML90.Interrupt
>
> line, and now mlton is taking >1hour and >700Mb on a 512Mb machine :-(
> [It seems to get very stuck at "knownCase starting", it's been sat
> there for at least an hour of wall clock time, or at least 20mins CPU
> time.]

I'm trying to understand how to compare this with the 10 minute
compile that you saw earlier.  Were these both with 20030716?  What
were you doing to fix the Interrupt problem that let you get the 10
minute compile?

There is an expert option that allows you to turn off any of the SSA
optimizations.  In this case you could do

	-drop-pass knownCase

Another thing that might be interesting is to run -verbose 3, which
shows the size of the program in MLton's internal ILs.

> > Please give 20031018 a try.
>
> So I thought I'd migrate to a 1.5Gb machine, and upgrade to mlton
> 20031018. I like the new output of -show-basis true, but unfortunately
> I'm having trouble compiling even small programs:
> There are lots of
>
> Error: t.sml 1.14: undefined variable =
>
> errors when I try to compile my programs.

Yes, this is a bug.  We changed how equality is handled, and only
propagated the change to the 2002 basis.  I've checked in a fix to our
CVS.  If you want to get it, you can use the 20031018 binary package
to process the latest CVS basis library sources and rebuild
world.mlton by using the following command

/usr/lib/mlton/mlton-compile <path>/<to>/basis-library/ /usr/lib/mlton/world

Of course, you must have write permission on
/usr/lib/mlton/world.mlton in order to do this.  Let us know if you
need any other help to get this working.  I'll remake binary packages
soon, but I'd like to try to solve some of your other problems before
doing so.