[MLton] the next public release

Matthew Fluet fluet@cs.cornell.edu
Sun, 1 Aug 2004 12:37:44 -0400 (EDT)

> * MLB files

I don't know of any outstanding problems.  -keep-sml doesn't work for .mlb
files, although -stop sml does.  Note that in either case, you probably
can't naively send the resulting sml through MLton, because the
elaboration of mlbs allows you to hide and reveal module level defintions.

The big todo item is the user's guide write-up.

> * New libraries: CML

I haven't had and probably won't have time to make any additional
improvements to CML before the release.  I will write up some appropriate
.mlbs for the library.  The major caveat with CML is that the Basis
Library is not thread safe and there are no CML event versions of the
Basis Library IO.  The "right way" to call a Basis Library function that
is stateful is with MLton.Thread.atomically.

We should probably also provide ml-yacc-lib as an .mlb available library.
There was a comp.lang.ml question about using mlycacc with MLton not too
long ago.

I also wonder if with the .mlb model, we shouldn't have
$(SML_LIB)/basis/basis.mlb correspond to the strict 2002 basis.  That is,
to gain access to MLton or SMLofNJ or Unsafe structures, you need to
reference additional .mlbs.