[MLton] Growing the user base...

Matthew Fluet fluet@cs.cornell.edu
Tue, 3 Aug 2004 10:11:25 -0400 (EDT)

> BTW.. I'm teaching the PL course at Princeton this year and would have liked
> to use MLTon because of the FFI. In particular I wanted to do a cool project
> with OpenGL and MLTon. MLton's FFI seems less of a hassle then SML/NJ in
> this respect.

I think MLton's FFI is great in this regard.  The _import expression is
dirt simple, which makes it perfect for sucking in C-stuff and packaging
it up in a type-safe structure.  Depending on what you want to do in the
course, you need never really expose students to the FFI stuff, just
provide the appropriate source.