[MLton] mlb files

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Fri, 13 Aug 2004 09:25:08 -0700

I was looking through the mlb files that we now use to build the MLton
tools and libraries and I have to say that the mlb stuff is looking
really good.  Having a real language for describing programming in the
very large is a huge win.  And having a real language is also a huge
improvement over CM, as our few examples already show.

Thanks Matthew!

I think the main thing that we lack now is a story for library
versioning, so that we can support multiple versions of libraries and
so that users aren't forced to upgrade when we put out a new
version.  And so users can selectively upgrade only certain libraries
or even use multiple versions of a library in the same program.  It
seems like mlbs have the power to do all this (which would be really
cool!) -- we just need some infrastructure and conventions.  Not that
I want to solve this problem for this release, but definitely for the
next one.