[MLton] power pc "port"

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Fri, 27 Aug 2004 15:40:27 -0700

> Filip and I are stuck on a small annoyance: we are trying to use the
> boostrap-nj to compile an initial MLton,

I haven't bootstrapped MLton with SML/NJ in years and am not even sure
if it works.  It's certainly not the development path I'd recommend
when doing a new port.  The easiest approach I have found is to use a
platform that already works (I use Linux) and to first get all the
regressions working by cross compilation.  To cross compile, use MLton
to build the .[cS] files on the Linux machine, copy the files to the
new machine, and use gcc on the new machine to compile them.  The
-cross and -run-only switches to the regression script facilitate
this.

After you have all the regressions working, you can cross compile the
compiler in the same way.  Once that works, you can use that compiler
to natively bootstrap on the new machine.