[MLton] Memory problems with latest CVS?

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Tue, 31 Aug 2004 12:06:19 -0700

I'm headed out the door and I won't have time to look into this until
Friday evening or Saturday, so I hope y'all can figure it out.  But I
did run a couple of tests this morning.

I just did a bootstrap from clean sources on a 1G Cygwin machine with
no problems.  There were definitely mark-compact GC's going on.  The
bootstrap compiler was MLton 20040227.  When I tried to bootstrap
using MLton 20040819, I encountered a gc performance problem similar
to what Matthew and Brent saw.  That performance problem was in the
second round of self compilation, so it is either due to a bug in
20040819 and its runtime or a space leak in the CVS head.  My money's
on the former.

In any case, one can at least bootstrap using the public release of
MLton.  But the problem in 20040819 is likely still there and the
resulting compiler may behave badly.

As to 512M RAM, that is starting to get tight these days, with all the
recent code additions for the optimizations and MLBs.

Good luck, and I look forward to solving the problem (if it still
exists) when I'm back online.