[MLton] cvs commit: sped up output1 a lot

Henry Cejtin henry@sourcelight.com
Fri, 2 Jan 2004 15:18:20 -0600

Ok, that eplains things.  In the code I use, and I would argue the common case,
I won't see a huge gain then.  The point is that often code has many calls to
input1, and that is enough to keep it from being inlined because the bottom-up
inliner first includes the buffer load code in input1, and then things about
inlining the resulting input1.
The right fix is either to force (via a hack) the buffer load code from being
inlined, or else to cause the inliner to devalue code which is in arms of
conditionals from being as desirable to inline.  I don't know how to do the
latter correctly.