[MLton] MLton bug: toplevel handler not installed.

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 06:25:03 -0800

> We are getting the following under Windows XP:
>
> MLton bug: toplevel handler not installed.
> Please send a bug report to MLton@mlton.org.

This likely means that an exception is being raised during basis
library initialization.  So, the user code hasn't even started yet.
Is that consistent with what you see?

> What information is required from us to proceed ? Thanks.

Assuming the problem happens is the basis, I would think that it
wouldn't be too dependent on user code.  Here's some stuff that might
help.

* A small program that recreates the problem.
* Does this happen with any program you try on this machine?
* Does this happen on other XP machines?  All?
* An strace of the failed execution.
* Does 20040227 have the same problem?
  - If so, try compiling small programs with -dead-code false, which
    will cause the entire basis library to be kept.

I've never tested MLton on XP, only on Cygwin under NT.  So, it's not
too surprising there's a problem.  If anyone else on the list has
experiences with MLton on XP, please share them.