[MLton] Oprofile on mlton-20041109

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Thu, 25 Nov 2004 09:49:07 -0800

> Oprofile appears to work on MLton-generated executables fine, but it
> is not too useful. MLton generates non-human readible symbols of the
> form 'L_321312' in its ELF executables. Only the C function names in
> the runtime are human readible.

I ran across Scott in #sml on irc.freenode.net and he mentioned using
Oprofile with MLton, so I asked him to send a mail summarizing his
experiences.  If someone's up to it, we could probably pretty easily
add support for mapping the unreadable symbold back to source
positions, since we already do this for mlprof.  At the very least,
perhaps we should add some docs to the wiki on where to get the
mapping data.