[MLton] Finished (?) MLton.Child

Wesley W. Terpstra terpstra@gkec.tu-darmstadt.de
Sun, 28 Nov 2004 14:05:31 +0100

Sorry for the grouchy tone of my last email; I was having a really bad day.

On Sat, Nov 27, 2004 at 06:36:05PM -0800, Stephen Weeks wrote:
> > Using 'mlton @MLton use-mmap -- test.sml' does succeed in building.
> > It also now works in linux again.
> >
> > Why is system() and/or spawn() broken?
> > My patch did not touch these.
>
> Sorry about that.  Another reversed condition.  I had forkIsEnabled
> set to true when *not* using mmap (of course it should be enabled when
> using mmap).

Is this also responsible for why mlton fails to use system()?
This is what's giving me the most grief.

> If you change the basis library, all you need to do is 'make world',
> which takes seconds.  If you change the runtime, all you need to do is
> 'make world', which might take a minute.

That doesn't seem to work for me. When I install the newer basis library and
try to use the 20041109 compiler, I get a big whack of errors. I didn't
investigate deeper because I assumed that this was not supported.

Using a working cvs compiler between rebuilds does work, and that's what I
used to do. However, I overwrote my working cvs compiler with a broken one
after you commit'd the patch the first time. So, until I build a working,
recent compiler, I can't just do 'make world'.

At least that's my imperfect understanding.

The fact that my only machine with windows, cygwin, and 512MB of RAM keeps
segfaulting while compiling MLton means I need to try about 3 times to get
a build. Hence the really long build and frustration. =)

Anyways, I will try again once I am by said machine.
I really hope your change fixes system(), as then I won't need to rebuild
the whole thing again for a while.

--
Wesley W. Terpstra