[MLton] HOL's Moscow ML implementation, and pushing MLton to emulate it

Daniel C. Wang danwang@CS.Princeton.EDU
Fri, 08 Apr 2005 18:17:23 -0400

Stephen Weeks wrote:
>>My memory is a bit sketchy, but as I recall Shao's approach assuems
>>a native unboxed/host representation.
>

> Sort of.  But he imposes a *severe* restriction on what host
> representations are allowed, that in particular rules out many
> representations that MLton uses.

Hmmm perhaps here is where the point of confusion is. I don't actually think
that is the case. There are restrictions on the representation of the
universal type, but not on the underlying native rep.

Can you give me an example of what exactly you mean in the context of a
list? What MLton opts are you thinking about?