[MLton] MLton.IntInf

Wesley W. Terpstra wesley@terpstra.ca
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 00:23:55 +0200

Just curious...

The (very nice) GMP gcd method is exposed.

Why not also the gcdext, inverse, powm, fdiv_r_2exp, and probab_prime?
That would cover all of the important GMP integer operations.
(pow, fdiv_q_2exp, and fdiv_qr being already in IntInf.*)

If it's just about keeping the exposed methods down to manageable levels,
then gcdext and fdiv_r_2exp are probably the most important.

It is rather odd that ~>> is provided, but no way to get the lower bits.

PS. I've been playing around a bit with OCaml lately (better libraries...).
You might be interested to know that MLton knocks the socks off of OCaml for
number theory applications. The ratio is sometimes as high as 35*. This is
not just due to the GMP; when I use mlgmp, the ratio is still often 5*.

--
Wesley W. Terpstra