[MLton] GNU configure and autoconf.

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Mon, 10 Jan 2005 23:33:09 -0800

> I remember when I asked about that some years ago. I would love to
> search the archives, but there seems to be no way of doing that.

The intention is that the search box at the upper right of every page
searches the entire site, including the mail archives.  It is my
understanding that this is what google is supposed to do.  However, it
is clearly not working.  Some, but not all, of the mail archives show
up.  For example, go directly to google and do the following search:

	site:mlton.org inurl:pipermail

This clearly turns up a lot of our mail.  If you pick anyone of the
mails in there, and search for its contents in the MLton search box,
it should turn up.  For example, searching for

	"installation of mlton under cygwin"

turns up a thread from April 2002.

I have no idea why google indexes only certain email messages.  If
someone does, please speak up.  IMO, google's coverage is bad enough
that we should consider using the mail archiver/searcher that Wesley
suggested a while back.

In any case, here is the thread you were looking for.

	http://mlton.org/pipermail/mlton/2002-September/thread.html

> Personally, I would stay away from the autocrap tools at all
> costs. I'd glaly write an explanation when I am not fed up with
> exams.

That would be nice.  Not knowing much about them, I simply observe
that we seem to have done well without them, even on a range of
platforms, and it is usually best to avoid dependence on a new tool
when possible.