MLTon build (was: Re: [MLton] cvs commit: C types now distinguish between signed and unsigned words)

Alexandre Xlex0x835@rambler.ru
Fri, 14 Jan 2005 18:01:24 +0300

On Jan 14, 2005, at 16:27, Matthew Fluet wrote:

>> /bin/sh: line 1: mlton: command not found
>> /bin/sh: line 1: mlton: command not found
>> /bin/sh: line 1: mlton: command not found
>> /bin/sh: line 1: mlton: command not found
>> /bin/sh: line 1: mlton: command not found
>> /bin/sh: line 1: mlton: command not found
>
> These are the benign 'command not found' warnings mentioned on the wiki
> page.  You can safely ignore them, as they did not abort the
> compilation.

Did not mentioned here (or I can't find it there, at least)...
http://mlton.org/SelfCompiling

>> make -C front-end
>> rm -f ml.lex.sml
>> mllex ml.lex
>> make[3]: execvp: mllex: Permission denied
>> make[3]: *** [ml.lex.sml] Error 127
>> make[2]: *** [front-end/ml.lex.sml] Error 2
>> make[1]: *** [compiler] Error 2
>> make: *** [all-no-docs] Error 2
>> ===================================
>
> This is saying that you can't execute mllex, which is required to build
> the lexing tables from the ml.lex description.  mllex should be
> installed
> at /usr/bin/mllex.

And how can I install mllex if MLTon was not builded? Or I miss
something?

>> I found at the Wiki page that I have to have mlton source directory at
>> the path,
>
> That is incorrect.  You need to have a directory with a mlton
> executable
> on your path.  The Wiki page is saying that the source directory's
> /build/bin path is automatically added to your path during the make.

It's better to write it like you do - because I read Wiki page about
that for about 10 time, but I can not understand it. While your phrase
is clear - will you add/edit it to the SelfCompile?

>> so I do:
>> CWD: ~/Applications/MLTon/mlton-20041109  Time: 12:06:11 Jobs: 1
>>   xlex@Karlson>export PATH=$PATH:`pwd`
>>
>> CWD: ~/Applications/MLTon/mlton-20041109  Time: 12:06:28 Jobs: 1
>>   xlex@Karlson>env |grep PATH
>> MANPATH=/opt/local/man/
>> PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/opt/local/bin/:/Users/xlex/
>> Applications/MLTon/mlton-20041109
>
> That shouldn't affect anything.  The directory you added to your path
> has
> no mlton executables.

Yes, I know, but, as I mentioned earlier, I can not understand the
meaning of the wiki page...

Ok, and anyway, what should I do to compile MLTon?

Regards,
/Alexandre.