[MLton] Building MLton

John Skaller skaller@users.sourceforge.net
Tue, 05 Jul 2005 02:33:19 +1000

--=-neRjeAYU8cbjOz2ed2CG

On Mon, 2005-07-04 at 16:23 +0200, Wesley W. Terpstra wrote:

> But... I think this whole discussion misses the point that the MLton
> compiler does it's own data layout. It doesn't use C's types except at
> interface boundaries. So, using a portable C type is not helpful.

The problem is actually chosing a suitable type and manipulating
it in a portable way, or at least isolating the non-portabilities.

> The problem of 64-bit for MLton is one of teaching the compiler to pack
> bigger pointers, and the runtime to interact properly with it.=20

The problem is teaching the programmers how to write portable C,
which isn't easy because the committee itself doesn't really
have a clue ;(

--=20
John Skaller <skaller at users dot sourceforge dot net>
Download Felix: http://felix.sf.net

--=-neRjeAYU8cbjOz2ed2CG

--=-neRjeAYU8cbjOz2ed2CG--