[MLton] MLton rules! (was: filedes = int)

Wesley W. Terpstra wesley@terpstra.ca
Sat, 16 Jul 2005 21:25:07 +0200

On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 08:58:53PM -0700, Stephen Weeks wrote:
> > I've been wanting to test out some machine learning algorithms in MLton,
> > and it would be nice to have full 64-bit support (our lab at CMU has
> > 64-bit Opteron machines with 16 and 32 GB of RAM for large datasets).
>
> Wow, 32GB.  I had only had up to 16GB in mind (for playing various
> bit-shifting pointer tricks).  Probably just have to eat having 64-bit
> pointers in that case.

Keep in mind that no one forces people to compile for amd64.

If a person needs to limit pointer size (for cache reasons), he can always
build his application for x86 mode. Maybe there's a middle point here too.

--
Wesley W. Terpstra