[MLton] MLton rules! (was: filedes = int)

Matthew Fluet fluet@cs.cornell.edu
Sun, 17 Jul 2005 18:15:34 -0400 (EDT)

> > > If a person needs to limit pointer size (for cache reasons), he can always
> > > build his application for x86 mode.
> >
> > That is not at all so easy when one has 64 bit libraries to link with.
>
> If your distro does not have the base libc libraries for both 32&64 bit,
> then it is broken and you should report a bug. MLton only needs libc and
> libgmp, so worst-case you just need to rebuild libgmp for the other.
>
> I imagine most distributions also have libgmp as both since it is a pretty
> vital library. (debian does not, but this is a known issue)

A note that I will add to the wiki shortly:

Fedora Core 4 for x86_64 does not install 32-bit libgmp by default, even
if you select the compatibility RPM group.  Of course, it is easy enough
to "yum install gmp.i386".  That appears to be enough to run 32-bit
executables generated by mlton.  However, the gmp.i386 rpm doesn't
include/create a symlink from /usr/lib/libgmp.so.3.3.3 to
/usr/lib/libgmp.so, which is what the linker expects to find when invoked
from mlton; hence, those on this distribution should create that link.