[MLton] Non-exhaustive exn fn match

Vesa Karvonen vesa.karvonen@cs.helsinki.fi
Mon, 18 Jul 2005 18:26:47 +0300

Quoting Stephen Weeks <sweeks@sweeks.com>:
> That code also has a space leak.  The problem is explained (and fixed)
> on mlton.org/UniversalType.  As to thread unsafety, it seems easy
> enough to wrap the projection function in a MLton.Thread.atomically to
> achieve thread safety.

True, but then you have to depend on threads and pay (possibly significantly)
for the critical section. It is much better to just avoid unnecessary shared
state, IMHO.

> Vesa, do you have any interest in implementing warnExnMatch?  As
> Matthew said, it should be easy to implement, and would give a nice
> intro to some of the front end.  We'd be happy to walk you through it.
> As an additional benefit, some of the explanations might make it onto
> the wiki to grow our documentation of compiler internals.

Sounds fair. I'll give it a try. However, it'll have to wait until next
week, because I will be away (visiting relatives) the rest of the week.
I'll have my laptop with me, so if I have time, I'll probably try to
find/look at the relevant places in the MLton sources.

BTW, is there a direct way to take a local snapshot of the MLton Wiki?
(Well, I can use wget, of course.)

-Vesa Karvonen