[MLton] Type of _address?

Wesley W. Terpstra wesley@terpstra.ca
Thu, 21 Jul 2005 12:29:05 +0200

I am considering changing the _address syntax from:
	_address "x": MLton.Pointer.t;
to:	_address "x": MLton.Pointer.t, int;

My reason for this is that I recall doing an 'extern foo;' caused trouble on
hppa for profiling. I wonder if it will cause trouble in this case too...
(ie: a char* pointer differs from an int* pointer)

Since I already added a ctp: CType.t option in order to get 'define' to
work, and the only place the type information is missing is _address, it
seems like a smart change to make now to me.

However, it means I would have to completely break _import #, not just issue
a deprecated warning if I require that extern x; always have a type.

What do you guys think?

--
Wesley W. Terpstra