[MLton] Re: Type of _address?

skaller skaller@users.sourceforge.net
Fri, 22 Jul 2005 05:46:17 +1000

--=-mM3dmd2xQH3EhJZGAQQX

On Thu, 2005-07-21 at 21:01 +0200, Wesley W. Terpstra wrote:

> The cast is from an integer *pointer* to a function pointer.
> So, the integer being too small doesn't matter here.

But that cast is also not portable, and not permitted
at all in C++ -- I introduced that rule :)

Example: i386 using small data/large code model,
data pointers are 32 bits, code is 48 bits.

There is no universal function pointer type
-- one is needed though!

The following function:

void *dlsym()

is broken and can't be repaired without a universal
function pointer type, and even then, there must be TWO
distinct functions:=20

void *dldata()=20
funptr_t dlfun()

--=20
John Skaller <skaller at users dot sourceforge dot net>

--=-mM3dmd2xQH3EhJZGAQQX

--=-mM3dmd2xQH3EhJZGAQQX--