[MLton] Subversion

Vesa Karvonen vesa.karvonen@cs.helsinki.fi
Tue, 26 Jul 2005 22:04:23 +0300

Quoting Matthew Fluet <fluet@cs.cornell.edu>:
> > >  2. ability to move files and directories.
>
> I always hear #2 as the feature of every improvement over CVS, but it
> always seems to me that it misses the bigger picture.  Sure, you move
> files, and it is great to have logs move with it.  But, the other things
> you do is to split one file into multiple files, or merge multiple files
> into one.  And, in those situations, some (often arbitrary) file gets to
> be the "one" that gets the logs, and everything else loses.  Case in
> point, mlton/control/control-flags.{sig,sml} looks brand new at revision
> 1.4, but it really should have all 125 revisions of
> mlton/control/control.{sig,sml}.
>
> Anyways, this isn't a criticism of SVN, per se.  It's a criticism of the
> criticism of CVS.

It is possible to copy a file with history:

  $ svn help copy
  copy (cp): Duplicate something in working copy or repository, remembering history.
  usage: copy SRC DST

    SRC and DST can each be either a working copy (WC) path or URL:
      WC  -> WC:   copy and schedule for addition (with history)
      WC  -> URL:  immediately commit a copy of WC to URL
      URL -> WC:   check out URL into WC, schedule for addition
      URL -> URL:  complete server-side copy;  used to branch & tag
  [...]

-Vesa Karvonen