[MLton] mingwows

Wesley W. Terpstra wesley@terpstra.ca
Sat, 12 Nov 2005 20:12:05 +0100

On Nov 11, 2005, at 9:59 PM, Stephen Weeks wrote:
>>> I just did three consecutive self compiles within MSYS, starting
>>> with
>>> MLton 20051109 and compiling the SVN HEAD, and did not encounter any
>>> problems.  Here are the command lines and version info.
>>
>> These builds were built with each other, right?
>
> Yes.  Look at the times to see that each was built from the previous
> one.  And MLton 20051109 (which built the first) was itself built by
> bootstrapping under MSYS.
>
>> I'll look into this some more; maybe it's just me. hrm.
>
> Send the logs (for both rounds) and maybe something will jump out.

The problem only happened with my original MinGW checkout.
Once I updated to svn/HEAD, the problem went away.
After looking through the diffs, r4177 looks to be the likely cause.
Sorry about not having tried HEAD first. :-(

BTW, having '-stop f' use '/' works around buggy GNU make,
but I wonder if it will work with more windowsy tools...

Now we just need something like the STL, unicode, and QT,
and MLton will be useful for commercial development!! :-)
(BSD license and MinGW being the major steps taken now)

I mention QT, because unlike GTK it uses native widgets on
all platforms supported by MLton. SMOKE might also be able
to do all we need to bind it to MLton.