[MLton] GUI toolkits (was: mingwows)

Wesley W. Terpstra wesley@terpstra.ca
Sat, 12 Nov 2005 22:49:23 +0100

On Nov 12, 2005, at 9:25 PM, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Wesley W. Terpstra:
>> I mention QT, because unlike GTK it uses native widgets on
>> all platforms supported by MLton.
>
> Are you sure? As far as I know, Qt draws all of its controls on its
> own on all platforms.  Maybe the Windows look-and-feel is just better
> than that of GTK?

Possibly. It certainly looks and responds like a native app.
I thought I read this somewhere, but now I can't find it, so
perhaps it isn't native after all.

Well, then maybe wxWidgets would be better. :-)
I just really miss being able to make a GUI app with SML.

Reading up a bit about wxWidgets, it seems that the wxHaskell
and wxEiffel folks use an intermediate C wrapper. I imagine we
could re-use that for MLton. Also, wxHaskell apparently has a
tool called wxDirect which autogenerates their binding.