[MLton] Unicode / WideChar

Adam Goode adam@evdebs.org
Tue, 22 Nov 2005 15:07:58 -0500

--=-rtmUbEjrGOGlbcus9eef

On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 19:34 +0100, Andreas Rossberg wrote:
> That may well be true. I had the SML library spec and its OS.Path in=20
> mind, which requires file names to be "normalized" to lower case on=20
> Windows, in order to do path resolution (independent of their actual=20
> existence). I'm not sure that approach is a terribly good idea either,=20
> but then, what would be the alternative?

Yeah, I'm looking at that now in OS.Path:
> System note [WINDOWS]:
> In a Microsoft Windows implementation, canonical paths are entirely lower=
case.

I guess this is ok, since OS.Path is designed never to touch the
underlying filesystem. And any file accessed via Win32 APIs are case
insensitive. What's really missing from OS.Path is a Unicode-aware
canonicalization, I guess.

Adam

--=-rtmUbEjrGOGlbcus9eef

--=-rtmUbEjrGOGlbcus9eef--