[MLton] Unicode / WideChar

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Tue, 22 Nov 2005 19:08:34 -0800

> Enough data to quickly reproduce the perfect hash will be kept in a
> generated .sml, along with a table which describes the named unicode
> chars. This is all expanded at startup.
>
> I estimate the memory required to be somewhere around 100-400K for
> the all the tables involved. Every MLton built binary would also
> increase in size by about 30K.

Why would this happen?  Would it be possible to set things up so that
the startup memory use and time, as well as the code-size increase,
would only happen if the WideChar functions were actually used?  We
have MLton's aggressive dead-code elimination and SML's ability to
express laziness at our disposal.