[MLton] mingwows

skaller skaller@users.sourceforge.net
Sat, 15 Oct 2005 17:09:15 +1000

On Fri, 2005-10-14 at 22:19 -0700, Daniel C. Wang wrote:
> I understand this was fixed in 3.5 but  I could be wrong.

I think so .. I just installed it, seems like it is running
Unix as in a 'chroot'. You can't even access files outside
on the same disk -- to do that you have to set up NFS.

Basically, this system has one purpose: to provide just enough
software to allow you to build unix stuff to run on
a Windows Server .. i.e. it is a gimmick to help people migrate
from Unix/Solaris/Linux boxes to Windows servers. I think the
best 'integration' between Windows and Unix provided is
in the web service area.

Anyhow, it isn't a serious development environment IMHO,
its a server environment -- although binutils/gcc are provided
the 'standard' install doesn't install them (you have to actually
uninstall the whole thing and reinstall it with 'custom' setting
to get gcc if you were silly enough to use the 'standard' install).

Cygwin is vastly superior for development, despite its warts.