[MLton] new version of MLton

Matthew Fluet fluet at tti-c.org
Tue Dec 12 19:38:03 PST 2006

> I just compiled the latest version of mlton/trunk and tested it compiling
> the program
> 	val () = print "Hello world\n"
> comparing it to the 20051202 version.
> The old compiler took 7.74 CPU seconds to compile the above, but the new
> one took 18.00 CPU seconds.  Also, the old executable is just under 78K
> while the new one is over 108K.
> Any notion on why these changes?

I think the time is mostly due to parsing and elaboration; the revised
Basis Library implementation is larger (it both uses more files and uses
more coercions to accommodate different sizes for C types and default
types) and uses more functors (which are notoriously slow with MLton).
I think the size is due to a larger runtime.

But, I'll note that your experience doesn't align well w/ my previously
reported experience:
   http://mlton.org/pipermail/mlton/2006-May/028833.html