[MLton] Unicode... again

Wesley W. Terpstra wesley at terpstra.ca
Sat Feb 10 04:51:02 PST 2007

On Feb 10, 2007, at 3:24 AM, skaller wrote:
> Be aware in these considerations that GNU gettext functionality
> generally requires a prefix for dictionary lookup too, in C
> you write
>
> 	_("....")
>
> I think, where macro _ specifies a catalogued message to be
> translated to the user language. This would stack on top
> of any string type indicators..

When we bind gettext, we will have lots of options. I'm not sure it
would be horrible if we required a WideString input to _. We
certainly won't be using macros, though.

> the problem with inference in general is bad error handling.
> For strings you might get an error you couldn't even see:
> a bad character code in a string is likely to be hard to
> find if your text editor can't display it (which is possible
> if it is a bad character ... :)

I'm confused. The compiler will give a compile-time error if there is
a character too big for the inferred type. You'll know the line and
column too, so that's not hard to fix?