[MLton] Patch ready

Matthew Fluet fluet at tti-c.org
Sat Feb 10 21:18:53 PST 2007

Wesley W. Terpstra wrote:
> On Feb 10, 2007, at 1:48 AM, Wesley W. Terpstra wrote:
>> Attached is a patch implementing Wide* for MLton. I've not yet written
>> WideTextIO / WidePrimIO.
>
> Another patch. This time without any regressions compared to svn/HEAD.
> May I commit it to HEAD?

I should have a chance to look it over tomorrow (Sunday).

> The new regression/widechar.sml reveals another bug in the compiler.
> There's a type-check failure in the SSA pass:
>> Type error: Ssa.TypeCheck.coerce
>> {from = word32 vector, to = word8 vector}
>> Type error: analyze raised exception unhandled exception: TypeError
>>
>> unhandled exception: TypeError
> I have no idea where to begin to debug this.

I suggest running the compiler with '-verbose 3 -show-types true
-type-check true'; that should reveal which SSA pass is yielding the
type error.  Then run with '-keep-pass ZZZ' for the relevant pass.

>> The other bug is that MLton is leaking polymorphism of string types.
>> This bug is not specific to my changes; svn MLton does this too.
> I'm using svn/HEAD now, and this still applies.

I don't know what you mean by "leaking polymorphism".