[MLton] Extra GC pressure

Andreas Rossberg rossberg at ps.uni-sb.de
Thu Feb 22 07:52:18 PST 2007

Matthew Fluet wrote:

>> The idea being that if you have an SML object that is backed by a C
>> object (for example SQLite, GTK, etc), you can indicate to the GC how
>> much memory (approximately) the C-side is consuming. When you free
>> that memory, you tell the GC that the memory pressure has been
>> reduced. The goal of this is to help trigger a GC earlier to clean up
>> SML objects (and thus their attached C state).
>  >
>> A better interface would probably be MLton.GC.alloc <n> which returns
>> an opaque type. When that type is GC'd, the <n> bytes are additionally
>> subtracted from the extra memory pressure counter.
>
> I can imagine the situation you describe, but have you encountered it in
> practice?

We definitely have encountered the need for this in Alice ML. Our
binding to the Gecode constraint library uses foreign pointers to fairly
large C++ objects. For instance, the representation of search spaces can
consume arbitrary amounts (multi 100M in the extreme) of memory in C
land, depending on the number of constraint variables and active
propagators etc. We surely have wished to have a feature along these
lines for our GC. I can imagine similar problems showing up with other
non-trivial libraries, e.g. GUIs.

However, the problem is that the alloc-time hint Wesley suggests isn't
even sufficient, because memory consumption of something like search
spaces grows over time, by allocating more local objects, e.g. when
starting propagation and computing a fixpoint. That is, you'd need some
form of dynamic feedback between C allocation and the ML GC, such that
memory hints can be adjusted. Unfortunately, we don't have any good idea
how to cope with it, though, since C libs usually provide no good way to
enable such feedback. In the case of Gecode, memory management in fact
is carefully hidden behind abstraction barriers. This is quite similar
to the "multiple GC" problem.

Andreas Rossberg, rossberg at ps.uni-sb.de