[MLton] Progress on AMD64/FreeBSD

Jesper Louis Andersen jesper.louis.andersen at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 15:48:13 PDT 2007

Gotcha:

ktrace/kdump tells us that mmap() has

RET -1 12 Could not allocate memory

or that mmap returns ENOMEM. From mmap(2):

     [ENOMEM]           MAP_FIXED was specified and the addr argument was
not
                        available.  MAP_ANON was specified and insufficient
                        memory was available.  The system has reached the
per-
                        process mmap limit specified in the vm.max_proc_mmap
                        sysctl.

ogre% sysctl -a | grep vm.max_proc_mmap
vm.max_proc_mmap: 30645

and we are trying to allocate something around 92K. Why on earth there is
such
a limit I don't know, but it is the culprit here. Now for a nice way to
circumvent it
apart from increasing it ;)