ICFP presentation

Stephen Weeks MLton@sourcelight.com
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 11:11:37 -0700

> The presentation looks good.  For the compile-time performance
> slide, can't you have a bar chart for (a) overall compile-time
> with different bars for each important phase, and (b) for a representative
> set of benchmarks, a bar chart indicating the number of contified
> functions that exist after contification using the A_call and A_dom
> analyses?   I think a graphics for these two metrics would be really
> useful.

I agree wrt (b).  The number of remaining functions as a bar chart using the
same six benchmarks would be nice.  You could even normalize stuff to show how
many original functions were there as well.  This graph would reinforce
  * that A_call and A_dom consistently beat A_cont
  * the positive correlation between amount of contification and run time
  * that A_dom almost always contifies more than A_cont -- this helps bring out
   the point about anomalies

As to (a), I think the <4% is enough.  And we're already hurting for time.