[MLton-devel] -profile time and the native codegen

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 09:00:09 -0800

> I looked again at this with a cleaned source tree, and I can't reproduce
> it.  I probably just got my libmlton.a out of whack.

I was hoping as much, but hadn't yet had time to check it out.

I'm glad that it all now seems to work.  Thanks for the checkin.

One question: why did ProfileLabel move from MACHINE_ATOMS to ATOMS?
The idea of MACHINE_ATOMS is that it has atoms that are only needed by
the backend and later passes, which would seem to apply to
ProfileLabel.  The practical benefit of using MACHINE_ATOMS is that
changes don't cause a recompile of all the front and middle-end code.

One more question: would it make sense to move any of what you did to
the backend, to make it easier on other codegens?